Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Monday, July 9, 2012

Pulling the Plug

Literally.  The pacifier is officially gone and although if feels great knowing we have moved on from that phase, a part of me is a little sad.  Sad I suppose that this piece of hardware that was given to our baby the day she was born has been taken away.  Taken away by her mean Mommy & Daddy...so we felt the night it was gone. 

We knew it was only a matter of time before we had to become creative and think of ways to get rid of.  Just a few nights leading up, I was online browsing Baby Center hoping to find good advice on what worked and what didn't.  Much to our surprise, Henley kind of took her own initiate one morning so it made perfect sense to play along.  A new baby started up at daycare about a month ago.  On a Tuesday morning, just as we are getting ready to walk out of the door Henley says, "I would like to give baby Jace my paci's."  What, whoa!  What a perfect idea, so we bagged up all her paci's, leaving one hidden "just in case" and off to daycare we went. 


No mention was made until evening fell and bedtime routine began.  I had been nervous all night, just wondering how it was all going to go down.  Was this going to be a simple done deal or would we be up in the night fighting off the addiction?  She asked for it and we reminded her that she had made a very big girl decision and that was to give them to the baby.  The tears started, my heart felt heavy and she became very sad.  For an hour we listened to the sadness fall over the monitor, it was a cry that was almost as realization cry.  We went in several times to reassure her and to reminder her how wonderful she was and what a big girl she had become.  We were too far into this game to reach in and grab that back up, so we stayed strong.  Okay, I stayed strong while Brandon rallied me on.

Fast forward a few days, as we are getting our jammies on, she proudly says "I don't need paci, I big girl!"  Mission accomplished!!!  She got it, gets it and is paci free!
Sweet dreams!

No comments: